Wednesday 1 May 2019

T'WAS THE NIGHT BEFORE CHEMO...and all through the house, not a kidlet was sleeping, or even my spouse.


Welcome : If you are reading this blog for the first time, you should know that one of our twins was diagnosed with brain cancer in January of this year. While not intending to only write about my experiences while she is on her journey, the past few posts have been about her because this is what my life revolves around right now.

Background

When I was a teenager, my favourite day of the week was Sunday. We didn’t always get to eat dinner together as a family but on Sunday we did. After church, mom and I would cook dinner. If she didn’t need my help, I would sit on a little bench my dad made me and just talk to her the whole time she was cooking. All the kids would be home on Sundays and we would be talking to my parents and each other. After dinner was over, we would stay at the table spending time as a family. Mom would get tired of sitting on hard chairs so she would go to the living room to sit down. And all her kids (and my dad) would follow her to the living room and keep chatting away. Then mom would get tired of sitting in the living room and she would go to her room and lay on her bed. (As if to signify, she was done and needed her space). But all her kids, and sometimes my dad, would follow her to the bedroom and lay on her bed with her and keep talking her ear off. It was as if that space which she inhabited, wherever it was in our home was the most sought after place. For me, it felt as though we had this goodness being around her and felt safe and loved by her. Nobody wanted to go to bed and we lingered near her or in her room as long as she allowed us. She would finally get tired of all the chatter and send us to bed.

Mom and Dad's Bed :

Last night I remembered my mom. Our family had a bit of a crying festival as we discussed Aven’s treatment and what the next few days would look like for each person in our home. I am certain that there hasn't been a time before, when all the kids were crying at the same time. That is what happened last night and they each had their own reason for doing so. We let them cry together and we cuddled them and gave them an abundance of hugs and kisses. How did it start? It was the blessing. Aaron gave Aven a blessing of health and comfort and anointed her head with consecrated oil. As he blessed her, something beautiful happened. We felt this peace in our hearts and Aven and Lily both began to cry at the same time. The Spirit was so strong. The twins stayed near each other and held hands. They didn’t want to let go of each other. As we talked more about some of the children’s concerns, without noticing it, Aven and Lily mirrored each other's movements. It was so neat to witness. Then, the rest of the children each got a blessing of comfort from their dad. We shared what things gave us strength and Aaron shared his testimony with our family. There was such a peace in the room and it reminded me of the days when I would join my siblings on my parent's bed. They lingered. They wanted to stay in our room, on our bed. So we let them. We carved some time out of a crazy schedule and for some lovely moments forgot our worries. We slowly transitioned them to their own beds. We felt grateful that such a tender moment was felt by all, even if soon after, the boys were fighting for the millionth time that day... 
I asked Aaron to take the picture above because I wanted them to have a picture to go with this memory.

My Hopes :

I want to believe that these tender family moments help Aven. I hope that she remembers the love in our family when she has to face harder days than she has already faced. I hope that she remembers the power of the bond that we have. I hope that the prayers given and the blessings promised continue to strengthen her. I pray that Heavenly Father hears the prayers raised to heaven from all of His believers who pray for Aven and for our family. And I hope that all the children we have met (and those we haven't met) who are fighting their own battles, can also be blessed.

Last night was not the typical sending off I was expecting to have. But I am learning that all I can do is plan, prepare and have hope. We have felt God’s hand in our lives and I can be sure that the things we are experiencing will be used for our good. We will rise from this. We will learn what He wants us to learn. We will be stronger.





2 comments:

  1. Thanks for those memories and for supporting Aven as a family so thoughtfully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the photo. And am so happy you have so much to be grateful for amidst the struggles you face. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete